Friday, September 30, 2011

Who's afraid of the dark

Whilst on this trip to Montréal the evenings offered the usual mix of character free hotel rooms, the prospect of drinking alone and TV programming not worthy of the technology that brings it to our homes and hotel rooms. Instead I wondered the streets and soon found myself drawn to pools of blackness topped with a blinding single lamp or two. These were the many empty parking lots that pepper the city of Montréal as I think they do most north American cities. Visually they initially attracted me, with their open space punctunated by these small isolated make shift huts. But it was only when I began photographing them that I was captivated by my fear of the process within the space. My sense of being exposed, seemed fascinating and reflective of a place which it's sole purpose is to act as a place of refuge and safety. But the pools of light from the crudely assembled lamps servered more to high light the ever present dark corners.


Montréal Parking Lot. Nr.3.  2011.


No comments:

Post a Comment